An impromptu movie night was very quickly planned for last week, for the 13-and-up students. Although it was a smaller crowd, it was a great night. Everyone brought candy to share and one person brought the most delicious chocolate cake. "Finding Dory" wasn't the originally planned movie, but ended up being a fun choice. Kristie led the discussion of the God-themes in the movie and they all prayed together. The hope is to have another one after Christmas.
Our family had an impromptu movie night last night, too. It was nice to relax together after a busy first half of the week. Our choice was "How to Train Your Dragon 2" and we were amazed at how the story-line brought out many truths:
- the co-existence of people with dragons reflects the Creation narrative of all things being created at the same time, including dinosaurs
- the existence of a kingdom ruled by control and fear and a kingdom motivated by love and belonging
- how we can all come under the influence of the wrong people, even when our hearts belong to God, because there are spiritual forces at work
- God pursues us and helps us see His love
- in the end, the power of the kingdom of love (under God) overcomes the power of kingdom of fear (under Satan)
I have to say, all the segments where these themes came out the most strongly, were not exactly relaxing. And there was a very sad moment. But there were also many light-hearted moments before this, which made me laugh out loud. And a beautiful picture of enduring love.
Movie nights can be a great way to bond and create meaningful discussion. I hope there will be more in the future, both at Masterworks and at my house!